[clug] TCP/IP traffic shaping using linux

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Mon Sep 8 14:58:11 EST 2003

Hello Ty,

The firewalling and traffic shaping is built into the Linux kernel and
hence is available for every distribution - you just need to ensure the
kernel you're running has been compiled with the required options (or,
compile your own with the things you need).  Traffic shaping is done via
QoS, and you'll probably want to be using the iproute2 tools - there's a
HOWTO on the subject with example setups.  Firewalling requires the
netfilter tools, these should come with your distribution, and there's
HOWTO's on this as well, plus thousands of example scripts on the 'net.
There's various virus scanners available for Linux - some are free and
some are commercial - if you can afford it, buy F-Secure Antivirus[1].  My
experience with this for many years has been that it discovers and cleans
viruses NAV and McAfee do not, plus it runs nicely via cron and the usual
integration tools[2] for MTA's support it.  Their customer support is
great too.
Cheers,

[1] http://www.f-secure.com/
[2] http://www.amavis.org/