[clug] PlanetMirror Slowness?

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Mon Sep 8 09:16:19 EST 2003

Eyal Lebedinsky said:
> I am on bigpond, and planermirror is selling it a download service. It
> may be the same for other ISPs? I always thought that this is the
> reason why I never get high speed from it. The paying users get first
> choice and the public gets the rest.

Planetmirror have been selling subscription access for a few years now,
offering priority access and higher bandwidth.  The deal with Bigpong is
that for a certain extra fee you get that plus your d/l's from
planetmirror don't count towards your monthly quota.
Of course, you could be interstate or even overseas with your PC's at home
switched off and Telstra will send you a bill saying you used 3+Gb over
your 3Gb quota in the last 3 days of the month when you weren't there, and
there's nothing you can do about it except pay up so I'm not sure how
sweet this deal really is.
--
Matt