[clug] mirroring scsi drive

nicolas.cherbuin nicolas.cherbuin at netspeed.com.au
Sat Sep 6 13:11:29 EST 2003

Hi,

I have an old IBM server at home with two 9.1GB scsi drives. On one I have
installed RH 9, on the other there is an old version (RH 7.2).

What I am trying to do is mirroring the first one on the second one. My
problem is that when the two drives are inserted the computer boots on RH 7.2.

As the first drive is scsi 7 device, it occurred to me that maybe I needed
to change the jumper so that the first drive is "seen" first but after
taking the drive out of its tray I could not see any jumper switches...
(plus I would not know how to change the other drive's jumpers as nothing
is written about it on the drive itself)

I have also  tried to boot from the first drive and then insert the second
drive but I cannot find the second drive (doing something like fdisk
/dev/sdb, but the second drive is probably also called sda since it has its
own version of RH on it).

So, my question: how do I format the second drive and make it visible to
the system. And secondly while I am at it, I was going to use:

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M   (I know nothing about dd but that's what
I have found in FAQs)

Is this a good way of doing it, and do I need first to create identical
partitions on drive 2 as on drive 1, and if yes, how do I do that?

I hope this is not too much to ask, but as you have gathered I am not a
linux guru... and although I have looked widely on the web and in books I
have not been able to find this information (at least not in a format that
I can understand)

Cheers

Nic