[clug] [slightly OT] how to find what an IP is

Andrew Bishop andrew at bishop.dropbear.id.au
Tue Sep 2 22:42:25 EST 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> I am setting up a Windows/XP laptop for my parents, and while it sits
> on my desk I have an iptraf window listening on its connection.
>
> I find some connections that I do not know the domain of. The IPs
> do not have a DNS, and the closest I get is the authority responding
> to a 'dig x'. I recall there was a site that could collect information
> about an IP, but I forget where. Or maybe a utility?

I think you're thinking of whois.

For example, it tells me that your first example (144.135.8.166) comes
from an address range assigned to telstra.

If you're stuck on a machine without access to a whois utility (e.g. a
friend's windows machine), there are websites that will do the work for
you.  One example is http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl

Andrew