[clug] [slightly OT] how to find what an IP is

James McNeill james at heague.com.au
Tue Sep 2 21:56:31 EST 2003

It depends on who the domain is registered with as to who you need to
look up the address with. a good place to start is www.arin.net .

from there you should be able to find where to go, if it doesn't have it
there. The 81.52.248.151 ip is registered as being in amsterdam. You
might want to try a traceroute on some of those ips to see what network
they come from.

If the domain was regstered in australia, you'd be able to find more
info on it at www.auda.org.au (the .au domain admin site). and so on and
so forth for all top level domains respectivly.  don't know who the
domain registrar for the netherlands is. Ask Google, she'll know.

if you want to chase things from ground up www.iana. (net or org, don't
remember which, can't be bothered opening a browser ;-) has all the
rules regarding IPs on the net, and some good links. If you're still
stuck on a windows box but want to find out more about these addresses,
there are a few sites that let you do an online nmap of an address.
ooops, did I say that?

HTH,
-James