[clug] Are there anttutorials/short local courses on =?iso-8859-1?q?Linuxutilities=2Ffunctions?=

Martin Pool mbp at ozlabs.org
Thu Oct 30 12:29:53 EST 2003

On 30 Oct 2003, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at openminddev.net> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:29, Ann.Leverton at health.gov.au wrote:
> > Can you help please.  I would like to learn how to use Linux
> > utilities/functions.  I need to use these  extract and manipulate data that
> > are stored  on Linux machines in customised compressed format (not normal
> > text files).
>
> What kind of customised compressed format are we talking about here?

Hi Ann,

You can probably find out what format the files are in by running this
command

   file FILENAME

Where 'FILENAME' is the name of one of your files.  If you post the
results here people might be able to suggest a tool to use.

Matt Welsh's book "Running Linux" is a pretty good introduction, and
you can probably pick it up or order it in from a bookstore in Canberra.

I don't know of anyone teaching courses at the moment but Red Hat are
probably a good bet.

  http://www.redhat.com.au/training/skills/

--
Martin