[clug] Mandrake/Linux and LG CDROMs

Mark Paine mark at paineless.id.au
Thu Oct 30 08:49:41 EST 2003

For those that haven't come across this, Mandrake 9.2 can appaarantly
trash your LG CDROM to the point where it is unusable.  (See the article
at The Register <http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/33648.html> for
info, and the official notice at Mandrake
<http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3>.  Basically boils down to
the fact that the LG CDROMs are not ATAPI compliant.

The notice from Madrake says that a new 2.4.22 kernel has been released to
work around the problem with the LG devices.  Question I have, is this a
Mandrake specific issue, or a general issue with the 2.4.x series of
kernels? I only have Aopen CDROMs, and a LiteOn CD burner, but I do have a
LG DVD which I don't think is currently affected by this (but will have to
check model number tonight) - but am running the 2.4 series on the odd
occasion on the system with the DVD.

Mark P.
--
.sig - TBA