[clug] Overriding the BIOS' impression of a disk

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 18:41:58 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 18:12, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Umm, I solved it on one our motherboards by simply not telling the BIOS
> about it. Linux saw it fine and went right ahead.

I had similar experiences on a mobo with an 8GB limit.

The one thing to watch out for is that back when I tried it, LILO would
only boot if the superblock of the relevant partition was within the
size the BIOS can see. So I had a 7.9GB windows partition and then my
root partition. The superblock of root was within the range required so
it worked fine. Once linux boots it totally ignores the BIOS.

> If you jumper the drive to 32GB, chances are you're really limiting it on the
> hardware level.

I agree.

> So, I'd suggest just stuffing it in, ignoring whatever the BIOS says and see
> if the Linux kernel picks up the right size.

yup.

Have fun,
Darren