[clug] Fedora and the future of RedHat

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Tue Oct 21 19:53:19 EST 2003

Daniel,

- From the below URL: "It is not a supported product of Red Hat, Inc. "
does this mean that red hat will not be responsible for releasing patches etc,
for it? will it affect the time at which patches are available?

If it is not supported by redhat it will need a large user community like
debian currently has to ensure a quick patch cycle (even debian is a little
slow at times). In an enterprise you really do need that kind of support and
I believe the Redhat Enterprise Linux (the version supported by rh) at
$1350.00 a pop is way overpriced (it is more than windows in some
orgenizations with MS site licenses).

This could really affect the takeup of linux in the enterprise. RH is seen as
the standard linux in the enterprise (because it gets the most publicity) and
asking people for that much money for a product which has been effectively
free so far really kills any business economy. People were counting on this
economy in the linux migration and this is something they have not expected.

I personally think debian is most appropriate for the enterprise but most
managers never heard of it nor do they trust it because there is no company
behind it. RH finally got to the stage where it is accepted, and it was
actually making money recently, but now i fear we will see a mass migration
away from rh, to the detriment of linux in general.

I would have been happy to use the up2date service to patch my servers but i
was informed that i will need to buy the es edition as of next year, because
up2date would not be sold seperately any more - i am having second thoughts
now if to continue with rh at all.

maybe i have a big misunderstanding on the whole issue. opinions anyone?

Michael.