[clug] Next CLUG anyone?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 21 09:35:22 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 07:57, Michael Still wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2003, Darren Freeman wrote:
>
> > Depends on if it's just as a demo or if it's going to be for something
> > useful. I don't know what the performance will be for a P-133 but if
> > it's using DMA on the drive it shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I don't want RAID on that box, so as far as I'm concerned it would just be
> a demo.

OK well not to worry your mobo should do DMA (some approximation to it
at least ;) I had a 586 mobo without DMA, man was that painful.

> > Basically I need two drives, each with spare partitions to be RAIDed.
> > The size doesn't have to match but a big difference should be avoided. I
> > haven't tried RAIDing floppies before but the docs indicate that any
> > block devices should do.
>
> Well, I'll fit a second floppy, and put a 30gb disc in too, which will
> take it to a 20gb disc and a 30gb disc.

OK well then I'll try to get the whole OS running on a RAID between the
two drives. To make it boot from the new RAID I'll need the absolute
latest lilo as well. Otherwise I can just undo the mirror on the root
partition and call it partially RAIDed.

> > Ideally I would want a pair of partitions I could trash, on different
> > devices. A pair of old cruddy drives would be OK. I would demonstrate
> > the fact that the data on the primary partition isn't trashed when
> > making a mirror, but I don't promise that it won't actually get trashed.
>
> That's ok -- it's a crash test box.

<evil grin> ok

> > I don't see a problem with the OS. As long as the kernel is recent, like
> > 2.4.x. I need the latest
>
> 2.4.22

I meant to say "I need the latest raidtools" but got interrupted ;) And
put it below.

> > Oh and whatever cables etc you need as I've never plugged anything into
> > the projector before. I need the latest raidtools package for the
> > userland utils and daemons.
>
> Sorted.
>
> Mikal

Bubble sorted.