[clug] Next CLUG anyone?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 17:15:54 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 12:38, Michael Still wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2003, Darren Freeman wrote:
>
> > I was thinking of maybe RAIDing a pair of floppies for fun, that way the
> > speed improvements are obvious and ejecting a disc would simulate a
> > failure. But if someone actually wants a software RAID set up then that
> > would be better. Like their home dir mirrored on a USB/firewire drive.
>
> I've got a Pentium 133 box I don't care about which I can bring along. It
> comes with a 20gb disc, and I can put a second floppy drive in. What would
> you like on the box (it's currently Debian Unstable).

Depends on if it's just as a demo or if it's going to be for something
useful. I don't know what the performance will be for a P-133 but if
it's using DMA on the drive it shouldn't be a problem.

Basically I need two drives, each with spare partitions to be RAIDed.
The size doesn't have to match but a big difference should be avoided. I
haven't tried RAIDing floppies before but the docs indicate that any
block devices should do.

Ideally I would want a pair of partitions I could trash, on different
devices. A pair of old cruddy drives would be OK. I would demonstrate
the fact that the data on the primary partition isn't trashed when
making a mirror, but I don't promise that it won't actually get trashed.

I don't see a problem with the OS. As long as the kernel is recent, like
2.4.x. I need the latest

Oh and whatever cables etc you need as I've never plugged anything into
the projector before. I need the latest raidtools package for the
userland utils and daemons.

> Mikal

Thanks dude!
Darren