Wake-On-Lan Success Stories? (was Re: [clug] Wake-On-Lan with AOpen AK778X, 3C905C-TX?)

grail at goldweb.com.au grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Oct 15 15:49:25 EST 2003

Please note change of subject.

I'd like to make this a "fishing expedition".  If you have had (reliable,
not intermittent) success with WOL respond with the equipment (mainboard,
ethernet card) that you use, and whether you needed to tweak BIOS
settings, patch modules, or follow HOWTOs that I have missed?
You have just received about 90% of the informational content of this
message.
The 3C905C is on Donald's list at
http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html. From what I've read (sorry,
lost the reference), I've only seen one statement saying that a particular
motherboard/ethernet card combo that he used actually works: in a post to
some mailing list, Donald Becker says that using ether-wake, he was able
to boot one particular machine (the one sitting next to him on the bench).
Which so far makes the number of WOL-bootable machines I have heard of
exactly 1.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:56:06PM +1000, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
>From memory, the 3coms have real big troubles with wake on lan type
>stuff. As in 1 in 10 attempts will suceed. Thats for both PCI and
>on-the-board stuff.

This is actually a relief for me, believe it or not.  I thought the
problem was just me.  Then again, I bought the 3C905 instead of the EEPro
because I had the misguided impression that the 3Com product was somehow
better than the similar priced "Intel Managed Desktop" adaptor.  :(
Some time on Wednesday 15 October 2003, David Gibson emitted thus:
> No, no, no.  Goats are for SCSI.
>
> You need a chicken, silver dagger with bone handle and black candles.

It appears that I have angered the networking gods to such an extent that
my 3Com cards won't acknowledge Magic Packet at all, much less only 1 in
10 attempts.
Now to see if the RTL8031 onboard has magically acquired WOL properties.
And then I need to find someone who will clean the floors without asking
questions. That, and a few dozen recipes for goat.