[clug] Bizarre failures in remote X server

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 19:16:12 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:14, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 13 Oct 2003, Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 17:12, Martin Pool wrote:
> > > On 13 Oct 2003, Darren Freeman <daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > > Perhaps something to do with not being able to find the right fonts?
> > >
> > > What do you mean "half the forms"?
> >
> > As in lots of forms belonging to GTK apps, specifically text input
> > boxes.
> >
> > I hadn't thought of fonts being an issue, but as I have tried with my
> > firewall dropped I would have thought it should find my font server.
>
> Yes, if it knows to look at the right font server.  And if your font
> server is accepting connections from the client.  Debian ships them
> configured to only listen to localhost...

I had a look at Mandrake 9.1 and it's configured to ignore TCP
altogether. But I changed it and restarted the font server - no
difference. I don't get any font-related messages and everything looks
to be using the correct font.

One more data point for you:

The Galeon dialogue box about accepting cookies doesn't respond to mouse
clicks on the radio buttons, but does respond to the "OK" button etc.
Very funny.

It could be Mozilla-specific as I'm not sure that there are issues
outside of Mozilla/Galeon. There might be, I'm not the remote user so I
don't know.

Opera runs relatively fine if you don't count hidden writing sometimes
due to 256 colour server (we think).

> > Surely the worst case of missing fonts is simply an ugly display?
>
> Such optimism warms my heart. :-)

but surely you don't need to reboot your Win2K box in the event of an IP
address change???

surely you don't need to read the Samba manual before editing the config
file?? it should just work, right??

surely in a large organisation like ANU we have firewalled off all
unnecessary ports from the wider Internet??

and surely if an Athlon gets too hot it will shut down before getting
damaged??

surely DDR-SDRAM only goes in the one way into the slot, due to the tab
preventing backwards insertion?? <grin>

surely if a card is sold as a hardware RAID card, then it's a hardware
RAID card, not software plus IDE controller, right?? <double grin>

Have fun,
Darren