[clug] Fun with RPM's

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 19:02:13 EST 2003

Mandrake 9.1 uses RPMs but it "just works".

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 18:29, Steve Jenkin wrote:
> Thought I'd share with the list the way I wasted most of my last 24hrs
> ;-)
>
> Synopsis:
> - Was lucky when the media failed.  Left with a bootable system.

Mandrake verifies all RPM signatures before installing anything so in
principle this isn't an issue, although I have had a Red Hat machine
totally hosed due to a bad CD

> - When RH upgrade says 'not enough space' - then reboot, cleanup &
> retry.

<slaps forehead> D'Oh!

... and repent or repeat

> - I'm really surprised there's no RPM for O-O 1.1!!

yeah it happens =( Mandrake doesn't have an RPM on the regular update
site either but I don't blame them as they must be frantic getting
Mandrake 9.2-beta ready for a full release in a month or less. Most
likely they did build a new RPM but it's left in cooker until they get
9.2 done.

> cheers
> sj

Have fun,