[clug] Update on Linux hardware RAID

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 8 18:14:16 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 16:35, Darren Freeman wrote:
> List,
>
> I am using an Adaptec 1200A hardware RAID card ($150), configured for
> RAID 1 (mirroring two drives). Trying to make this the boot drive.

I have an update.

The kernel source hptraid.c in linux-2.4.21-blah states (and gives the
error) that only RAID-0 is supported at the moment.

So while I have a partly accelerated chip, linux has to use software
RAID. Not only that but I probably can't talk to Windows partitions
either although I did find that I can unmount a raid mirror and mount a
single drive just fine - but the geometry is apparently going to miss
the last sector which is a new RAID superblock.. Hope Windows respects
the new slightly smaller size, then I can share data.

Darren