[clug] A desperate cry for the clue bat

Bolin, Robert Robert.Bolin at industry.gov.au
Wed Oct 8 13:12:17 EST 2003

Hi all,

I never thought I'd have to ask for this kind of help, but here goes: I need
to be hit by the "Big Clue Bat" as to how to either roll back a debian
upgrade (plus my attempts at fixing a problem with the X-server) or a way of
installing a working version of debian stable or testing (with a working
X-server) over the top of my current setup.

Situation: I have been running Debian testing for a while now and everything
was going fine, until recently. It seems that in the last "apt-get upgrade"
the xserver was upgraded from 4.1 to 4.2, however the SiS driver that I've
found for my SiS630 chipset won't work for some reason. Once I found this
out I decided to try to downgrade back to the version I thought I needed,
which, due to the miracles of the apt-get system, uninstalled a series of
other applications - at this point in time I started progressing into a
downward spiral that seems to be getting worse. I have also installed from
source a number of other applications, languages and bits and pieces that I
needed for Uni, so I'd prefer not to go the windoze route and do a clean
install.

I've tried RTFM but that doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere. Is there
any help?

Rob

(Word to the wise: Avoid SiS chipsets like the plague - I've come to the
realisation that under Linux, they are more trouble than they are worth...)

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.