[clug] RAID headache

Andrew andrew at donehue.net
Sun Nov 30 14:36:08 EST 2003

Hi All,
          I have a promise 20276 (fasttrak) ATA 133 RAID Controller
(2x200GB IDE drives), using debian (woody) - with a the latest stable
2.4 series kernel.   I setup the system using the usual install method,
then compiled my own kernel (added the required RAID and fasttrak driver
options in), setup lilo to boot from the new device, and mirrored the
drives via the BIOS menu.    On boot the kernel sees the 20276 chipset -
but doesn't show a /dev/ataraid/d0pX array :(  (I have the 2 drives
setup to mirror).

There are heaps of different documents out there (I have tried a fair
few different ones). I am at the stage where lilo works, but get a
kernel panic when it tries to find the root file system (which in theory
should be on /dev/ataraid/d0p3) -

What do I have to do to make the kernel create/see /dev/ataraid - etc?
(I have the aatraid option selected in the kernel config).  Any
advice/pointers (even to a document that you know will work for the
20276 chipset).

Oh, and also I do have all the options compiled into the kernel, not as
modules :)

Kind Regards,
                      Andrew