[clug] Learning C in a Unix environment

Paul Warren u3292467 at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 28 11:10:01 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:52:36 +1000
Andrew Pollock <andrew-linux at andrew.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in learning C in a Unix environment. Do they still teach C at
> Uni, or is all Java these days?
>
> Are there any other readily available courses that teach it (i.e. standalone
> TAFE courses or something along those lines)?
>
> I already know general programming concepts, and can program in more
> script-like languages like Perl, PHP, VBScript, and I can generally make
> some sense out of reading C code, depending on it's complexity, but I'd like
> to be able to write C so I can contribute to Open Source projects, and I'd
> actually like to understand the ins and outs of how the C library works, and
> how shared objects hang together and what symbols are and all that jazz.
>
> I also know Linux quite well from a Sysadmin perspective, and from
> reasonably low-level debugging, so I'm after something that doesn't start at
> the beginner's level of "this is an if statement, this is a loop, etc etc".
>
> Even if anyone can suggest some good books aimed at my level. There seem to
> be a few GNU books that look interesting...
>
> Andrew

Another good one is:
Advanced Programming in the UNIX environment, W, Richard Stevens.  Addison Wesley.  1993.

Although it's not just about C programming, it tells you about the standard unix librarys.  How to do a fork() exec() cycle, pipes and all that other wonderful stuff.

Stevens is about $145.00 in a book shop (if you can find it), or get it on everythinglinux.com for cheaper.  K&R is about $99.

Cheers
--
Paul Warren
u3292467 at anu dot edu dot au