[clug] PCI wireless cards

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Nov 25 12:01:21 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:54:04AM +1100, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Damien wrote:
>
> > I had big problems with hostap and wlan-ng on 2.4. They were
> > reasonably reliable (didn't require restarting every day), but they
> > seemed very unstable in the face of heavy IDE disk activity. With
>
> So as someone who is toying with the idea of putting a PCI wireless
> card in their main fileserver so that household laptops can go wireless,
> should I be thinking twice, or are they (card and required utils) generally
> pretty stable?

Heh.  Hard to say.  They seem to work fine in some cases and cause no
end of problems in others.

I'm afraid the orinoco maintainer (me) is not doing a very good job at
the moment.  Between umpteen different crappy firmware versions, each
with different bugs, the vile, ugly, broken pcmcia code in the kernel
and the peculiarities of the wireless extensions, I'm afraid I'm a bit
lacking in motivation.  So driver fixes and updates tend to end up way
down at the bottom of the priority list.

http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson