[clug] PCI wireless cards

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Nov 25 06:59:45 EST 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Damien Elmes wrote:

> Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> writes:
>
> >> * I'm particularly interested in cards that work with a driver that
> >>   ships with a standard (2.6) kernel.
> >
> > I believe hostap, which is what I use, is shipping with 2.6 RSN.
>
> I had big problems with hostap and wlan-ng on 2.4. They were
> reasonably reliable (didn't require restarting every day), but they
> seemed very unstable in the face of heavy IDE disk activity. With
> hostap on the pci card, my laptop's card would even temporarily
> disassociate during an updatedb on the desktop box. With wlan-ng, it
> would just drop pretty much all packets until things died down.

Hmmm. I did notice "access point went away" messages in the log sometimes,
but I never nailed down what caused it... Because my PCI card is on a
router machine, the disc tends to be idle. The card always just worked
apart from that.

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,