[clug] Debian and an IBM EServer

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Sun Nov 23 16:10:15 EST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:37:15AM +1100, Martin Schwenke said
> 2 possibilities:
>
> * We installed our most recent IBM xSeries server by booting Knoppix,
>   partitioning the disk (RAID-5 set really), rsyncing Woody from
>   another live box and then changing the hostname in various places.
>   Oh yeah, we also compiled a recent 2.4 kernel that included the
>   above 2 drivers.

Another option is using "deboostrap" to bootstrap a Debian system from
within the Knoppix one.  It's documented in the Debian Reference
(http://www.debian.org/doc/reference/), but the gist of it is:

$ sudo debootstrap version_of_debian_to_install dir_you_mounted_the_disk_on <mirror>

where <mirror> is either a http or ftp url to a Debian mirror, or a
file:// url to a local cd or archive.

> * I noticed yesterday that debian-changes was very busy.  This might
>   herald a new release of Woody, whose kernel will probably have
>   tg3.o... and might have ips.o?

Woody 3.0r2 was released and pushed to the mirrors just before the
compromise was discovered; aiui, it's on the mirrors but the
announcement won't be made until everything is fixed.  Note that the
main Debian archive was not trojaned, nor was the security update
archive.

--
Rob Weir <rweir at ertius.org> | mlspam at ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    Fidel Castro Albania Fortezza munitions codes unclassified