[clug] Re: Config & software for BigPong Adsl (Sam Couter)

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Mon Nov 24 16:23:21 EST 2003

> Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> > Can anyone advise on using sewing machine oil in DC fans?  I'm sure
> > I've read enough people saying "don't do it" without any "because"
> > clauses. Apart from fans, the remainder of my noise issues are the hard
> > drives, which I've found replacements for.
>
> I've never heard anyone say "Don't do it", and I've personally done it.
> I've repaired many gunked-up fans by dismantling, cleaning and oiling
> them. So far so good.
>
> If you're truly worried, you could maybe get graphite-based RC car
> gearbox grease from a hobby shop and use that. Use sparingly. Very
> expensive. I don't know if this really is a good solution though, as I
> don't know what the problem is supposed to be.

Mueller in " Upgrading & Repairing PCs" suggests using WD40 or equivalent
because it is a non-oily silicone lubricant and does not attract dust.

I have found that such fluids do noticeably quieten CPU fans as well as case/
PS fans.  Sewing M/c oil is probably too viscous for such small sleeve
bearings (unless they are excessively worn).

I've not resorted to complete disassembly. The following procedure has been
adequate:

temporarily remove the self-adhesive label over the hub

apply one or two drops only of "Electrolube", "WD40" etc to the shaft/sleeve
joint - spray cans are definitely "out" and any more than a couple of drops
and you risk the stuff being flung out everywhere

slowly spin the rotor by hand until the oil works into the sleeve

ensure that the surface for the adhesive label is free of oil and dry - if
necessary wipe with solvent

re-apply the label.

Mueller also suggests sparing use of WD40 etc for the drive rails in floppies,
printers etc.  Whether this is good engineering practice depends:

some plastic-to-metal bearings work much better without lube

many small metal sleeve bearings are porous and lubricated with oil for
"life".   I have found with 10 + yo equipment that application of fresh oil
cured "sticktion"

some printer rails clearly have light grease rather than oil and replacing
grease with oil is probably not a good idea.

The slider rail for the lower head in a floppy might benefit from a wipe with
WD 40, but getting a wiper to it is somewhat tricky.

> Apart from fans, the remainder of my noise issues are the hard
> drives, which I've found replacements for.

I've seen a case that mounts the HDD via rubber grommets, as isolating bushes,
to slide-in drive trays.  The threaded holes underneath the HDD are used.
Not easy to adapt to other cases unless you already have slide-in trays.

> > KDE3 is the Windows of the Unix world - needs 400MHz CPU with 256MB of
> > RAM to be useful. Wish it could run on something less :)
>
> GNOME runs (crawls) on less.
>
> But I was really offering the P100s for those who are looking for boxes
> to run ADSL connections through.

Rod