[clug] Config & software for BigPong Adsl

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Sun Nov 23 18:39:52 EST 2003

Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> Urggh.... don't do that!  Attach the speedtouch to the RH9 box and set
> up pppoe there. Or just head off to Secondigit in Balgowlah and pick up
> a Dell Optiplex PIII 667MHz/128MB for $250 :)  If you're in Canberra,

I have three P100s at my place looking for cheap disposal. I've found hard
drives for them now too - I've been using them as a doorstop. *tee hee*

At least five network cards between the three (ISA and PCI, nothing
fancy).

I'm using a P100 as my ADSL router and it's plenty fast enough.

> BTW - Anyone know a better place to buy second hand equipment like
> that?  Is $250 for a second hand PIII a good price, or on the gouging
> side of "fair"? I haven't looked for second hand equipment for *so*
> long.

For comparison, the last machine I bought (two months ago) was $100
ex-ABS auction. It is an Ipex PII400, 128Mb RAM, 8Gb HDD, no monitor.
Built-in video and network and stuff as you'd expect.

I also bought a $130 17in monitor twelve months ago.

So $250 for a higher spec machine (with working monitor) would be a
good deal. Without monitor would make it fairly expensive. What's the
opportunity cost of not taking the deal you have available now?
Divorce? ;)
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org