[clug] Life span of motherboards

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 23 18:31:14 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 18:16, Phil and Marlene Carter wrote:
> Gday all,
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about motherboards. I think in at least 1 case I might have been a victim of the bad batch of capacitors that Michael described. The techie that did the repair did say something about the the tops coming off capacitors. In future I might pay more attention to what goes into the case.

>From what I read in IEEE Spectrum, the bad capacitors thing hit both
good and bad brands alike. I heard of it happening to ASUS for instance.
Or according to ASUS, not happening. But whether it happened or not, the
capacitors were oozing stuff. That's what happens when nothing happens,
so when something happens I suppose the computer explodes causing
"collateral damage" ;)

Anyway don't beat yourself up over the capacitors thing most people
didn't realise what was going on and it wasn't because of dodgy brand
motherboards. It was because of trade secrets being stolen and sold to
everybody, about how to make great electrolytic capacitor electrolye.
But the theif didn't know about a secret ingredient that stops the
problem that ended up happening to just about every competitor.

>From that point of view it's pretty funny actually, like some dudes
cheating off you only to find out that the good students got different
exam papers or something ;)

> Thanks again,
>
> Phil Carter

Have fun,