[clug] OT: Life-span of motherboards

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Mon Nov 17 19:39:59 EST 2003

This is an electronic engineering question :-)
It is also manufacturing/production quality question.

==> 'Tier 1' manufacturers hopefully take more care in the design,
manufacture and testing of their gear than 'whitebox' commodity
producers.

You've not mentioned a couple of important variables:
- What CPU & chipset you've been running.
- Some idea of the quality of your motherboards & gear.
- The 'duty cycle' of your gear.  Run 24*7??

When I worked at O.T.C. [Overseas Telecommunications] in 1985 we had an
exchange start to have _chip_ failures.  After 10+ years of 24*7
operation, the silicon was starting to expire.  We didn't see many
circuit board or solder joint failures.  Our techs were trained to do
solder joints with a 25 year life.

The Silicon transistor failure curve is a 'bathtub', when plotted
against log(time).  It is two exponential curves:
- fabrication errors, fast exponential decay
- life-time effects, slow exponential rise.

=> In the first 0.1-1hour most of the early failures will occur.
=> Then at about 100,000 hours, all the inherent silicon problems emerge
and the transistors lose their gain and/or transconductance.

There are generally 3 dimensions to failures:
- chips
- boards, joints, connectors and  other physical stuff
- heat stress failure - overtemp or too many power cycles

How to prolong the life of your motherboards:
- buy good stuff to begin with
- run it _cool_.  Every 5deg rise in operating temp shortens life
appreciably (and exponentially). Can't remember the formula.
- reduce running hours

Now I'll stand back & wait the flames :-)

HTH
sj

--
Steve Jenkin, Unix Sys Admin