[clug] OT: Life-span of motherboards

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Nov 17 18:35:35 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 06:18:19PM +1100, Phil and Marlene Carter wrote:
> Gday all,
>
> This is not a particular Linux question, but I'd appreciate some advice.
>
> How long can I expect a motherboard in a PC to last? I have managed to
> cook 2 motherboards (in different computers) in the last couple of months.
> The boards were about 2-3 years old. I suppose that, given the pace of
> advances in computer technology, getting 2-3 years out of a computer is
> not all that bad, but on the other hand, I would have expected more than
> 2-3 years use out of a motherboard in not-too-demanding home/home office
> use.

Hmm, we have several machines here approaching the age of 5 years now and
they're still going along just fine. We've had to replace power supplies but
that's about it. However, these machines have been running almost
continuously for that period so heat/cool cycles won't have been too bad.

I do remember a machine which was running fine for ages and then we rebooted
it and it refused to go. We did manage to resurrect it but I forget how.
Probably just power-cycled it till it worked :)
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/