[clug] Fine tuning some last bash niggles

Michael.James at csiro.au Michael.James at csiro.au
Wed Nov 5 16:59:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 03:19 pm, Michael.James at csiro.au whinged:
> Bash still doesn't have a good "which" function.

which was aliased to "type -p", not quite right for Goldilocks.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
 if anybody's interested, here's what I boiled out of them.

#
# /etc/bash.bashrc.local	gets sourced in the Suse way of things
#
#       michaelj 2003-11-05

# Here we disable some annoying behaviour

# Mailchecking? No thanks!
MAILCHECK=0;

# Let's have real paths
set -P

alias where='type -a'

# aliases take preference, so we have to un-bewitch it first
unalias which 2> /dev/null
function which () { builtin type -a "$@" | head -1; }

Michael James				michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator			voice:	02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility	fax:		02 6246 5166