[clug] Null modem in linux

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 4 10:22:31 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 09:56, Paul Warren wrote:
> Hi there cluggers.
>
> I've picked up some of the hubs mentioned previosly, and some of them are managed hubs, with a serial port.
> Under windows, Hyperterminal will connect to the terminal, and it all works, same as the HP tools that come with the hub.  But under linux, I can't seem to work out how to connect to the hub through the serial cable.  I've googled and read minicom's man page, but nothing is mentioned about how to use minicom for a direct connection, it seems to want a modem!
>
> Should I be using something else?

no, I always use minicom for connection via null-modem.

> Got any pointers?

just call:
minicom -o -c on

that says, don't try connecting via modem, and enable colour.

you probably have to do run that once as root with an extra "-s" option
and save the com port settings, but after that any user with the right
privileges can use it.

> The hub I'm trying to connect to is a HP Advancestack Switching Hub-24m, HP J3202A.

as I'm well aware ;)

thanks for removing the crap on top of the hubs I wanted ;)

> Cheers

Have fun,
Darren