[clug] Mounting an SD card

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Fri May 30 21:47:28 EST 2003

Hi Geoff, All,

On Wed, 28 May 2003 22:36:57 +1000
Geoff Smith <gsmith at geoffco.net> wrote:

> May 28 22:26:35 gcalaptop kernel: Initializing USB Mass Storage
> driver...
>
> [snip]

Bob is quite correct, there is no open source SD support in Linux at this
stage.  Unless your multi-reader device has some sort of translation layer
you're stuck.  There are a couple of devices that support SD but only
through binary modules at present.  As Bob rightly points out, the SD
Association are yet to release specifications in a form that will allow an
Open driver.

Where you may have better luck is with gphoto - it seems to support the
IXUS V2

http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

I use the command line tools with a little script Tridge put together,
seems to work a treat.  Transfer over USB with a 2.4.20 kernel is very
quick indeed.

The GUI app, at least last time I tried it was marginal at best.  If the
script is of interest give Tridge or I a shout (probably me as I receive
somewhat less mail than Tridge... :)

Cheers,
Hugh