[clug] Online protest against SCO

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed May 28 10:09:35 EST 2003

Simon Haddon wrote:

> According to SCO it is not the specifics of the code that they are
> concerned about.  It is the similarity that they are saying infringes on
> their IP.

OK, so we're going to see a reprise of the Apple/Microsoft case? I'd have
thought that "look and feel" was a more uncertain basis that copyright.

	http://www.lgu.com/publications/softcopy/20.shtml

Though the links notes that MS were licenced. OTOH, Lotus managed to succeed
ina suit against Paperback software:

	http://www.duke.edu/eng169s2/group1/lex4/prot8.htm

Either way, I think SCO picked the wrong company. The one with a vast patent
and copyright portfolio and deep pockets. How many modern Unix features are
re-implementations of mainframe ideas?

> They seem to think that no-one else in this world is capable of creating
> a system like theirs without prior knowledge of their system.  Thus it
> must be that the system is copied from the SCO system.

No matter how you slice it and dice it, SCO are nut jobs. Hopefully the
legal system will be sane.

Antti