[clug] debian distro wanted

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Tue May 27 10:05:37 EST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:59:35AM +1000, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 07:12:54AM +1000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> > Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > > Actually, you're likely to only need the first three. They're sorted by
> > > popularity.
> > >
> > My - yet to be digested - Debian Install Manual says that if I want a
> > kernel-2.4.x I need to start with disk 6.
>
> If you want to *boot* a 2.4 kernel during the installation process then you
> probably need disk 6 (Each CD has a different kernel in the boot image). On
> the other hand, if you don't care what kernel the installer runs with, disk
> 1 is fine. You can just install a 2.4 kernel during the intstallation
> process and you'll be running that.
>
> The reason why this is done is because some architectures don't have a
> working 2.2 version so they provide some variations to help out.

huh, on the boot command line for debian installation on disc 1 for woody
there is an option to boot some alternate stuff anyway, look at the options
there, bf24 is a boot option rather than simply hitting return which
defaults to linux or install or something which is 2.2, that gives you a 2.4
kernel for booting and installs one by default.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view