[clug] Transmeta CPUs

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon May 26 12:13:40 EST 2003

On 25 May 2003, James Macnicol <jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au> wrote:
>      As far as Linux is concerned, I understand that Transmeta was
> going to produce its own version that runs "natively" on the Crusoe
> (i.e. without Code Morphing from x86) but this never happened.  Is
> this true?

I don't think this is true.  My understanding is that they never want
applications or OSs to rely on the underlying format because they want
freedom to change it incompatibly between processor revs.  However
Linux could usefully give the processor hints about when and how to do
translation.

--
Martin