[clug] OT: Hard disk search

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed May 14 14:39:54 EST 2003

On Wed, 14 May 2003, James wrote:

> Would anyone be interested, or know someone who would be, in performing a
> very thorough search of a hard disk. We need to give evidence in court, as
> the hard disk is that of a computer alegadly used for child pornography.

Do you want to prove there _is_ something on the disk, or there _isn't_?

It should be relatively easy to prove there _is_ something on disk....

http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/moby.html

Apply that at a bit level... take every 5678th bit, wrapping around from
the end of the disk if necessary.... and you get _this_ disturbing JPEG
image.

Now. Perhaps something useful....

I suggest googling for "data recovery australia". That will give you
somebody whose qualifications may actually count for something in court.

> -James

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\