USB hotplug mice with Debian unstable and X11?

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Tue Mar 25 19:39:33 EST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 11:25:35AM +1100, Michael Still wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I have a Debian unstable box with hotplug installed. I also have my XFree
> config pointing at /dev/input/mice as an input device. I plug in a USB
> mouse, and I see from the logs that it claims to have setup the mouse.
> Using it however has no effect on X.
>
> Does anyone have any hints? Failing that, is there logging available which
> will show what's happening?

Hmmm...What kernel are you running?  (some of) the Debian install
kernels have no USB support at all.  Does 'cat /dev/input/mice' followed
by a mouse wiggle print junk?  Does /var/log/syslog mention the mouse
explicitly?  It's possible that part of the USB system is loaded, but
not the HID module or such...

--
Rob Weir <rweir at ertius.org>				   http://ertius.org/
If I want a CC, I'll ask for one! | Do I *look* like I want another damn war?