Setting colours of text terminals

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Sun Mar 16 14:17:41 EST 2003

At 12:01 PM +1100 2003/03/15, Alex Satrapa wrote:
>On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 09:06 , Nemo - earth native wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:05:32PM +1100, Alex Satrapa did utter:
>>>If using "dircolors" to set the $LS_COLORS environment variable, you'll
>>>need to include a line in your .dircolors file that specifies that your
>>>$TERM is valid.  Eg, the following is required for my Mac OS X terminal:
>>
>>Well, set your $TERM *somewhere*, if that's what it takes. I don't think
>>.dircolors is the place for it though.
>
>No... that's not what I meant.  You need a "TERM nsterm" line, not a "TERM=nsterm" line.
>
>The "TERM nsterm" line is a cue to dircolors that when ls sees "$TERM" equal to "nsterm" that it is, in fact, a colour capable terminal.

Could you be more specific about this please, in what file do you put this?

>>Note that these days $TERM should be set from the actual terminal app
>>you're running and not need to be manually set anywhere...
>
>That is indeed where $TERM is set to "nsterm".
>
>>... so if that's the case, then I'd be lost.
>
>I need special "nsterm" entries in termcap/terminfo to handle the fact that Terminal.app doesn't quite emulate anything else in particular - I'm trying to register bugs against Terminal.app when I find stuff like not reporting its initial rows/columns (which leads to interesting stuff when scrolling down line by line in vim, for example). The workaround is to adjust the size by one line, then adjust it back.
>
>Just a pity that you can't send terminfo to the remote host as part of the login process!

You can set your own TERMCAP variable with all its entries if you want.  Messy though.

>But I'm starting to digress, this is a Linux list, not a GNU/Darwin list ;)
>
>Regards
>Alex
>

>Attachment converted: Kaliana:PGP 22.sig (pgDS/----) (001557F4)

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)