Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

Duncan Roe duncanr at optimation.com.au
Sun Mar 16 10:49:16 EST 2003

Is your box connected to the internet?

It sounds to me a little like your vi is now a trojan which hasn't quite been
installed right. Or perhaps it *has* been installed right and the message is a
furphy. Just maybe it's ld.so that's been attacked, but the error message looks
genuine:-.

 10:42:56~/doc$ strings -10 /lib/ld-linux.so.2|grep Inconsistency
 Inconsistency detected by ld.so: %s: %u: %s%sAssertion `%s' failed!
 Inconsistency detected by ld.so: %s: %u: %s%sUnexpected error: %s

But perhaps the answer is more prosaic. When did vi last work? Have you made any
changes to the box's software since then? Did you delete anything?

You could try moving vi out of the way & rebuilding from source.

Cheers ... Duncan.