hd images (SEC: UNCLASSIFIED)

Lisman, Jarrad FLGOFF Jarrad.Lisman at defence.gov.au
Thu Mar 13 15:06:23 EST 2003

Hi

I am trying to make a HD image using dd which I then want to mount read only
using the loop back adapter. Unfortunately the first time I try to mount the
image it says bad superblock etc. To get rid of this mesage I have to mount
in rw mode once then unmount and remount in ro mode. So obviously something
is changed with the initial rw mount but what and why? I thought I should be
able to mount ro from the word go and it I need to be able to mount without
modifying the image. I do not want to have to restore the image to another
drive.

I am using dd over netcat ie on receiver		 nc -n -v -l -p 3000
> some.img
			     on transmitter	 dd if=/dev/hdax | nc -n -v
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 3000

I then try to mount the img as follows		 mount -o ro,loop some.img
/some/mount/point

Can anyone help?

Jarrad