My Debian experience so far

Steven Hanley sjh at wibble.net
Wed Mar 12 09:33:19 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 04:58:32AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> The minuses: Woody is too old, and Sid is, well, currently broken.  Not badly
> broken.  Only a very little really.  Unfortunately, Kmail has been
> uninstallable in Sid for at least 31 days now, and I *really* like Kmail.
> Due to the wonders of apt, I have tried out several other email clients, but
> I still like Kmail the best.  I'm currently running it in a RedHat machine
> installed under VMWare.

Woody is stable though, ie it will not go up the creek, it will stay up for
years on end if need be (or so the idea goes), I find it tends to be true.

> Being new to Debian, I have no idea if this kind of delay in getting 'grave'
> bugs fixed in Sid normal or not.  Perhaps I've just been unlucky and hit a
> bad time to have my first unstable Debian experience.
>
> I am extremely reluctant to go back to Woody (and then get the unofficial KDE
> 3.1 Woody backport) as there are a number of other packages I also want from
> Sid.

As for kmail the maintainer has working kdenetwork packages, the ftp masters
jsut have not added the kde 3.1 packages into the archive yet (not due to
bugs AFAIk, just due to not doing it)

Anyway the maintainer has packages at  (apt source line)

deb http://people.debian.org/~ccheney/kde-other ./

apt-get install kdenetwork

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view