Mapping windows drives onto Unix (sec: unclas)

Shane Nuessler shane.nuessler at anu.edu.au
Wed Mar 5 14:35:21 EST 2003

What about Sharity-light?

If you know smbfs for Linux - Sharity-Light is roughly the same. It is
derived from smbfs, but runs as a user level program, not in the kernel.
If you know samba: Sharity-Light is roughly the opposite: a client for
the Lanmanager protocol. If you know neither of these: Sharity-Light
lets you mount drives exported by Windows (f.
Workgroups/95/98/2000/ME/NT), OS/2 etc. on Unix machines.

This software has previously been called "rumba". However, it turned out
that "RUMBA" is a registered trademark of Wall Data Incorporated. To
avoid confusion and a violation of the trademark, our program has been
renamed to "Sharity-Light". The name has been derived from its successor
Sharity, which is also available from our web site.

http://www.obdev.at/products/sharity-light/index.html

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 11:57, Frank Ranner wrote:
> aditya padhi wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to map windows 2000/NT drives onto Unix Box ( SunOS 5.6
> > sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise-10000 ) .
> >
> > The purpose to to pool data from VoIP servers to Unix.
> >
> > My questions are :
> >
> > 1. Is it possible to do it using Samba ?
> >
> > 2. If yes, then what are the softwares I need to install on Unix and
> > Windows ?
> >
> > 3. Where can I get the software ?
> >
> > 4. What are the configuration steps ?
> >

> I use smbclient to fetch data from Windows server to the Solaris boxes.
> We have a
> number of Windows network management servers, and they periodically zip
> up their
> databases. I have a cron job that uses smbclient to do a directory
> listing, check if
> any new files are present and download any so found to a solaris box. A
> separate
> script deletes old zip files, keeping the last four. That way, if new
> zip files stop
> coming, the backups don't progressively vanish!
>
> There is an old smb client program for solaris, but with limited
> features, the name
> of which I cannot recall. I remember it had severe deficiencies which
> were alleviated
> in the commercial version, but I didn't want the functionality that
> badly.
>
> If you really need to have directories mounted, and you don't mind a
> performance
> hit, you can use a Linux box to mount the Windows shares, and re-export
> them using
> NFS.
>
> Regards,
> Frank Ranner