Mapping windows drives onto Unix (sec: unclas)

Frank Ranner Frank.Ranner at defence.gov.au
Tue Mar 4 11:57:55 EST 2003

aditya padhi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to map windows 2000/NT drives onto Unix Box ( SunOS 5.6
> sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise-10000 ) .
>
> The purpose to to pool data from VoIP servers to Unix.
>
> My questions are :
>
> 1. Is it possible to do it using Samba ?
>
> 2. If yes, then what are the softwares I need to install on Unix and
> Windows ?
>
> 3. Where can I get the software ?
>
> 4. What are the configuration steps ?

I use smbclient to fetch data from Windows server to the Solaris boxes.
We have a
number of Windows network management servers, and they periodically zip
up their
databases. I have a cron job that uses smbclient to do a directory
listing, check if
any new files are present and download any so found to a solaris box. A
separate
script deletes old zip files, keeping the last four. That way, if new
zip files stop
coming, the backups don't progressively vanish!

There is an old smb client program for solaris, but with limited
features, the name
of which I cannot recall. I remember it had severe deficiencies which
were alleviated
in the commercial version, but I didn't want the functionality that
badly.

If you really need to have directories mounted, and you don't mind a
performance
hit, you can use a Linux box to mount the Windows shares, and re-export
them using
NFS.

Regards,
Frank Ranner