really deleting

Andrew Donehue andrew at donehue.net
Sun Mar 2 17:52:45 EST 2003

Hi All!
           I am after a program that will go through an ext2 based
filesystem and look for any deleted files, and actually zero out the
contents of that deleted file on the hdd..... The reason for this is.....

I spent about 10hrs setting up a server the way I like it, I seem to be
setting up 4+ of these a month, so instead of wasting 10hrs each time, I
disk dumped the hdd (everything - the hardware is always the same) - ran
it through gzip, and sent it to a file.... The server install is only
about 400MB in size, but I stuffed up in the initial one, and had to
delete some files..... problem is that dd only looks at bits, it doesn't
care that the file was deleted.... it still compresses the contents of
the file... (that is left over after a normal delete... only a marker to
the file is deleted...) - and my image is about 4GB in size!

I should be able to fit the image onto a  CD (as the OS install is
around 400MB....) - the remaining is the compressed files that I
deleted.... (unrequired junk)

I have seen programs around that do deletes and replace with random
data, but I was after one that went over the old space and zero'ed out
any spare space.... Any suggestions?

Cheers,
            Andrew