[clug] ANN: hYPerSonic 1.0

Nemo -earth native- nemo at cheeky.house.cx
Mon Jun 30 21:33:03 EST 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 09:10:27PM +1000, Ambrose Andrews did utter:
> On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 20:20, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> >
> > Debian stable has python2.1, and with it I get the error shown below.
> >
> > If Python 2.2 is necessary then this is too bad (for me).
>
> I thought python 2.2 was available for stable, just not the default
> version.  Oughta be possible to have python 2.2 alongside the stable
> version.  Shouldn't interfere with python things running 2.1 unless they
> are explicitly saying python2.2.

These figures are based on the last time I apt-get an update of packages
lists... YMMV

Debian testing has 2.2.2-6, while unstable has 2.2.3-2.1. I believe the
stuff before the "-" is the "real" python version number, while the
stuff after is the debian package version...

Both of these say:  Conflicts: python2.1 (<= 2.1.2)

Debian woody has a 2.1.3 I think, so yes, you should be able to have
both stable python2.1 and testing/unstable 2.2 simultaneously.

Personally, I try and avoid Debian unstable for anything remotely
intrusive or important to my system. (eg, I'll happily grab an
unimportant dockapp from unstable, but I wont touch a major perl update
till it's been in testing for a few months. I've been bitten there
before.

That said, I've found Debian Testing to be very nice in terms of
balancing the line between "new and cutting edge" and "old, tested and
reliable". I get things breaking sometimes, but so far nothing that
would have caused any major headaches had they occured on a production
server. (minor "pay attention to me now" 5minute fixit jobs though,
yeah, sure :)

.../Nemo