[clug] Windows filesystem weirdness "com1"

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Tue Jun 24 14:35:07 EST 2003

OK, this doesn't seem to be Linux related, but I found it curiously defficient
and initially assumed it was Samba.

I am archiving a bunch of old dev stuff that includes copious numbers
of files like "com1.menu, com2.menu".

When I pull them off the main server (Solaris with Samba) onto a Windows 2000 box
the copy freaks out when it reaches "com1.menu".

A little experimentation replicates the same problem on my Linux boxen.

A little more experimentation shows that any file matching "com[1-9].* will not
copy across, and I cannot create them on local disks. Ditto things like "lpt1.txt".

Anyone got any ideas on this seemingly arbitrary filename limitation? It looks like
anything that could be a device name won't work. Especially annoying as I don't
want to break the apps I am archiving (or roll them into a tar file). :-P

Cheers,

Antti