[clug] RH /bin/ls listing

Hong Bo Zhong hongbo.zhong at abs.gov.au
Fri Jun 20 16:26:26 EST 2003

Hi, there,

I normally use Debian and FreeBSD.  Recently I have to work with a few RH
boxes (8.0+) and I find this directory listing problem annoying.  Basically,
the dot and non-dot files, the upper-cases and the lower-cases are all mixed
up.  This was not the case prior to RH 8 if I remember correctly.

$ /bin/ls -la
drwxr-xr-x    3 hongbo   ctn             4096 Jan  7  2002 .sawfish
drwxr-xr-x    4 hongbo   ctn             4096 Jun 20 15:44 src
drwx------    2 hongbo   ctn             4096 Dec  2  2002 .ssh
drwxr-xr-x    3 hongbo   ctn             4096 Dec 23 11:29 .terminfo
drwx------    2 hongbo   ctn             4096 Apr 29 11:34 .themes
drwxr-xr-x    3 hongbo   ctn             4096 Jun 20 11:52 tmp
-rw-------    1 hongbo   ctn             6365 Jun  4 16:56 .viminfo
drwx------    3 hongbo   ctn             4096 Dec 28  2001 .xauth
-rw-------    1 hongbo   ctn              167 Jun 20 12:14 .Xauthority
-rwxr-xr-x    1 hongbo   ctn              188 Apr 30  2001 .Xclients
-rwxr-xr-x    1 hongbo   ctn               57 Apr 30  2001 .Xclients-default
-rw-------    1 hongbo   ctn              265 Jun  4 10:28 .xfigrc
-rw-------    1 hongbo   ctn             1156 Jun 20 12:14 .xsession-errors
$ /bin/ls --version
ls (coreutils) 4.5.3
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie.

I did a strace(1), apart from indicating that /bin/ls consults the locale
and color settings, it didn't provide much useful information regarding the
problem.  It appears to me that the sorting is done internally by /bin/ls.
RTFM and STFW.  No option seems to be available to correct this.  I am
wondering it is a compile time option.  Could someone please offer a
helping hand?

Thanks,
HongBo