[clug] Problem with X-windows under Debian.

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Thu Jun 19 10:48:52 EST 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:07:10PM +1000, Richard Rose wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having a problem getting X windows working under Debian. I recently
> moved from Red Hat to Debian, and after a few problems installing
> software, managed to install the x-windows-server, KDE, KDM and a few
> other items but when I try to start X I get the message 'Screen(s) found
> but none configured'.
>
> Attached is the full log file. I would really appreciate some help with
> this as my other choice is top go back to Red Hat with its problems (at
> least I had X working).

Rerun 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86' and tell X to NOT use the
framebuffer device.  That seems to fix ~90% of problems like this.

--
Rob Weir <rweir at ertius.org>  |   mlspam at ertius.org   |   http://www.ertius.org/
GPG keys: 1024D/1E73B7CD, 4096R/3ABDE5EC     |      Do I look like I want a CC?