[clug] info to html script

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jun 19 08:07:01 EST 2003

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003, at 11:07 , Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> For manpages it seems to be quite useful, I must remember that. For
> newbies,
> something like info2www is much easier to use.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

I usually have one machine in my network that has all the *-doc packages
(Debian user) related to the stuff I actually use. In addition, I will
install info2www and man2html, and add a nice "HEADER.html" document in
/usr/share/doc that contains pointers to those two documentation sources
('cos I can never remember whether it's cgi-bin/man2www, man2html,
mantoweb or what the correct parameter format is).

My next "project" is to get namazu[1] to properly index the info pages,
and to figure out how to get namazu to produce links to man2html instead
of to gzipped man pages on the file system :)

One day, all the applications will be shipped with DocBook
documentation, and people will be able to choose to have traditional man
pages, intellectually superior info nodes, or more friendly web pages.
Or print it all out to dead tree format.

Alex
[1] Namazu is a cross-site scripting vulnerability... I mean... full
text search engine http://www.namazu.org/. I was spoilt at one company I
worked for, and even as amazing as namazu is, I'm still wanting all the
stuff that Search 97 Information Server could do :)