[clug] Problem with X-windows under Debian (George Bills)

George Selwyn Bills u2564793 at anu.edu.au
Wed Jun 18 04:01:45 EST 2003

     I had a problem like this too.  X tries to start, then the screen
turns on / off rapidly a few times and I get a "Screen(s) found, but
none have a usable configuration.  Fatal server error: no screens found"
as the last error message (this is on a very old geforce 2 mx, but I
don't know if it's card specific.)  I eventually solved the problem by
reconfiguring X using debconf and specifying "no" to a question about
"using buffers or framebuffers for graphical output."  I can't remember
the exact prompt, sorry...  (I remember it because at the bottom was a
note to the effect of "this setting can cause problems - the safest
option is to leave it on but feel free to turn it off if it appears to
cause problems.)  Hope that helped.

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 10:07:10PM +1000, Richard Rose wrote:

 >> Hi Guys,
 >>
 >> I am having a problem getting X windows working under Debian. I
recently
 >> moved from Red Hat to Debian, and after a few problems installing
 >> software, managed to install the x-windows-server, KDE, KDM and a few
 >> other items but when I try to start X I get the message 'Screen(s)
found