[clug] Netspeed satlink & ppp dialers...

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Tue Jun 10 08:38:50 EST 2003

Geoff, does the modem actually connect?  I look after a bunch of Redhat
boxes with Netspeed/Commindico/iHug connections and have struck this one a
few times, mainly in the actual rural sites (as opposed to Amaroo rural :)
The symptom there was the modem not connecting and instead hearing the
Telstra chick saying the number cannot be connected.  A handset on the line
can dial the same number no probs.

In that case it's the S11= setting in /etc/wvdial.conf.  S11 is DTMF dial
tone duration in millisecs, wvdial uses about 50 which ends up as 70ms in
most Aussie modems.  Try setting it to 90 or higher (Maestro Woomera's
default to 90) or removing it and performing an at&f to retrieve what it
normally should be.

wvdial seems to be based on the US POTS world, where they must consider dial
time to be wastefull.  Interestingly enough, I encountered it at 2 sites
that may share the same exchange and both faulted after several months of
seemless operation.

Andrew