[clug] Netspeed satlink & ppp dialers...

Basil Chupin blchupin at tpg.com.au
Tue Jun 10 00:03:34 EST 2003

Geoff Smith wrote:

> I wasn't....
>
> Maybe I worded this bit badly?
>
> >>I've always used wvdial to do my dialling, but for some reason with
> >>netspeed, it always takes 3 or 4 attempts before it will set up a
> >>connection correctly. Every other time it tells me INVALID LOGIN.
>
> Should be more like: when I use wvdial to dial into netspeed it takes
> 3 or 4 attempts......
>
> Not trying to lay blame, I just don't want my phone bill to stay at
> the current quadrupled state it is in :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoff
>
> Chris Fletcher wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> I'm no rocket scientist (well, I used to be!) but if one dialler
>> works every
>> time and the other doesn't and all other hardware is equal I would
>> not be
>> blaming the ISP ;-)

Try doing this in /etc/ppp/options:

* rem out the line " lcp-echo-interval 30"

* also rem out the next item " lcp-echo-failure 4"

* increase (this is optional, suit yourself here) the item "idle nn" to
"idle 1200", and

* remove the rem against "maxfail nn" and increase the value to read
"maxfail 30"

I had similar troubles to you until I did the above fiddles.

Also, have a look at wvdial.conf in /etc to see if all the values there
are what they should be (ie, what you set them to when configuring the
modem/connection settings) and make sure that Stupid Mode is set to 1.

Cheers.

                                        Pablo Picasso