[clug] Netspeed satlink & ppp dialers...

Geoff Smith gsmith at geoffco.net
Mon Jun 9 18:46:09 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I'm having problems dialing into netspeed to connect to their satlink
plan. (I think the satlink part is irrelevant, it's really just a
standard dialup ppp connection).
I've always used wvdial to do my dialling, but for some reason with
netspeed, it always takes 3 or 4 attempts before it will set up a
connection correctly. Every other time it tells me INVALID LOGIN.

KPPP works fine. Every time I use kppp to dial up, it connects first go.
That's great, except my gateway box sits in a corner out of the way with
no screen and keyboard, I only ssh in. With X forwarding, kppp works
fine over ssh, up to the point I want to terminate the ssh session. As
soon as I kill it, kppp dies. It seems that the "Disconnect on X server
shutdown" option makes no difference. It dies both ways, ticked or not.

So, any suggestions for any of the following....

a) make wvdial work every time with netspeed
or
b) make kppp not kill the ppp session if it is killed.
or
c) any console ppp dialers that work as well as kppp?

Cheers,

Geoff